|FIRST DAY OF SPRING|
|till 2015 - Happy New Year|
Eatontown: Sponsored by the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders and organized by the Monmouth County Historical Commission it was the Fifth Annual Weekend in Old Monmouth Tour. Forty historic properties were featured on the 2012 tour of Old Monmouth.
The tour began in Keyport at the Keyport Steamboat Dock Museum on Broad Street, included stops along the shore including the Sandy Hook Lighthouse and Fort Hancock going as far south as the National Guard Militia Museum in Manasquan before ending at the Village Inn in Englishtown.
Monmouth Tour started in Keyport - Steamboat Dock Museum
One of the properties included in the tour was the Eatontown Museum; located at 75 Broad Street, the original one-room house was built circa 1730. The house is also known as the Read House, for the last private owners. In the 1800’s the house was added onto with a parlor and bedrooms upstairs, while a kitchen was added in the early 1900’s. The museum opened in May 1979 after two years of work by many volunteers.
The Eatontown Historical Commission meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 7pm in the museum; meetings are open to the public. Various activities are sponsored at the Museum throughout the year including a spring tea, a Halloween-themed program in the fall, a Holiday Open House and quilt shows at regular intervals.
For more information about the Eatontown Museum you can e-mail the Borough Historian at email@example.com.