LONG BRANCH: The Long Branch Police are looking to keep pedestrians, motorists and bicyclists who travel along the city's oceanfront safe this summer.
Police have outlined the following rules for bicyclists:
• Bicycles will only be permitted on Ocean Avenue heading southbound in the traffic lane.
• No northbound bicycle traffic is allowed.
• No bikes are allowed inside the walking lanes or barricaded areas.
• No northbound bikes are allowed from South Bath Avenue to Pier Village. The entire area from Pier Village to Brighton Avenue allows southbound bike traffic. Bicyclists are encouraged to ride with traffic.
• Brighton Avenue to South Bath Avenue and Ocean Boulevard allows 2-way bike traffic.
Police have also begun their summertime safety campaign and are cracking down on the enforcement of allowing people to cross at pedestrian crossing signs.
Drivers must yield to pedestrians at crosswalks and pedestrians should only cross at crosswalks that have been identified with signs across the city.