Welcome Visitor
Today is Friday, December 6, 2019

Prosecutor's Office Looking To Try 16-Year-Old Long Branch Shooter As An Adult

LONG BRANCH: The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office is looking to try the 16-year-old boy who shot and killed four people on New Year's Eve as an adult.

Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni said that process will begin after boy's retention hearing is held tomorrow, Jan. 3. Gramiccioni said the boy's name must remain confidential and that he is currently being held at the Middlesex County Youth Detention Center where he will remain until a judge decides to release or not release him. A probable cause hearing will be held on Friday, Jan. 5 and the prosecutor's office will be looking to have him remain at the detention center.

Long Branch police responded to a 911 call reporting shots fired at 635 Wall Street in the city at 11:43 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 31. 2017.

Long Branch police and Monmouth County Sheriff's Office arrived on scene a minute later where they discovered four deceased victims: the suspect's father, Steven Kologi, 44; mother Linda Kologi, 42; sister Brittany Kologi, 18; and family acquaintance, Mary Schultz, 70, of Oakhurst Parkway in Ocean Township.

The prosecutor's office released some additional findings on Tuesday afternoon:

• The cause of death has been determined by Middlesex County medical examiner's office. All four deaths were ruled homicides and the cause was multiple gunshots to each individual. The shots occurred at close range and were fired from a Century Arms semi-automatic rifle. The gun's magazine contained 15 rounds of 7.62 mm caliber rounds. Gramiccioni said the rifle was "legally acquired by one of the three people who escaped the home.

• The prosecutor's office originally reported that two individuals were able to escape safely, however Gramiccioni said today that three individuals escaped. The shooter's brother, grandfather and another female family friend "in her early 20's." Gramiccioni said the three individuals heard the gunfire and ran from the home. A dog and several cats living in the home were not injured.

Gramiccioni said the case remains under investigation.

Read more from: Top Stories

Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: